I think it’s fairly safe to say that most of the things that foodies eat would make raw foodists faint (all the cooked organ meats, breads, pastas, etc). But in the spirit of spa and health week, I thought it would be a good idea to take a look at what followers call the healthiest food movement. Not being much of a raw foods expert I spent some time over at RawFoodLife.com, which has a huge amount of literature on the subject. So, why raw food? I’ve listed nine reasons after the jump…
RawFoodLife lists the following reasons for a raw food livestyle:
- Raw foods carry electrochemical energy and nutritional messages that vibrate with frequencies that energize your body (any chemists out there want to chime in on the validity of this one?).
- Raw food contain all the original vitamins, minerals and essential enzymes which are easily destroyed by heat.
- Eating raw foods builds your immune system.
- Heating oils, animal fats, nuts and seeds creates toxic substances harmful to the body.
- Eating raw foods gives you more energy.
- You look healthier on a raw food diet.
- You can lose weight quickly and easily.
- People heal chronic diseases by eating raw foods, often in addition to fasting, juicing, exercising and meditating.
- It tastes better because a raw food diet cleanses the palate.
I’ve never tried a raw food diet but just point #9 seems interesting to me; would a raw food diet help improve the palate for wine tasting? At any rate, here are three restaurants where you can try raw food cuisine without breaking out the salad spinner at home:
I’d love to hear your stories and opinions about raw food diets in the comments section!