I am proud to report no one here at NileGuide HQ was seriously duped by April Fool’s Day hijinks, though I have to admit I very nearly fell for Thrillist’s MeetingRoulette email (it’s an amazing idea! How has it not been invested in yet?). Otherwise, the world continued to turn, and the web continued to provide some of the more inspiring / odd travel tips, tricks, anecdotes, and images a TGIFing traveler could hope for.
- Stefan of Broke-Ass Stuart and Co. provided five helpful tips for how to utilize not-so-private restrooms instead of that sketchy pay toilet down the street. [Broke Ass Stuart]
- Is this the Twilight of the Travel Guidebook? David Page at Matador asks your opinion.[Matador Network]
- PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME – Citysearch helped feed the PB&J addictions for a couple of our staffers. [Citysearch]
- Jeremy Kressman had a great week – in addition to his half-kidding post on travel writing robots, he posted his stunning photos from his travels in Asia. [Gadling, Flickr]
- More US airlines are getting behind paperless boarding passes, welcome news to someone with a ticket-eating purse. [Travel Weekly]
- Are you sitting behind a desk counting down the minutes to 5 PM? You probably don’t want to read about these amazing bike trips in the Okanagan, then. [National Post]
- Hate the downsides of regular business travel? Optimize, and turn that convention into an awesome vacation. [Twenty-SomethingTravel]
- Drop everything and check out this photo round-up now. [Red Eye]
- When was the last time you actually mailed a postcard? Got lost? Honestly? Those, and other endangered travel traditions. [World Hum]
- And finally, flowers that smell like corpses – YOU’RE WELCOME! [Atlas Obscura]
I know I’ve missed some awesome stuff out there – leave ‘em in the comments!