Explore NileGuide.com

Marmite Celebrating 100th Birthday In New Zealand By Repatriating 100 Kiwis

Travel News — By Carlo Alcos on September 22, 2010 at 11:00 am
Pin It

For the North American palette, it’s hard to understand why New Zealanders are crazy over their Marmite (and similarly, Aussies with their Vegemite). On first taste, it’s a pretty ghastly concoction (ok, and maybe on fifth taste too). But while living in Australia, I got used to the taste and even went through a couple of small jars over two years. The trick was doing it right. Loads of butter, a thin spread of Vegemite/Marmite, and slabs of aged cheddar (what they call “tasty” cheese) was my preferred method.

But I have a feeling that it’s more of an identity thing than anything else. There are some seriously passionate debates raging between Marmite and Vegemite which, for all intents and purposes, is New Zealand vs. Australia. Just have a look at this video to see what I mean:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-878Nc4gzPA[/youtube]

But all debate aside, this is Marmite’s time. According to the NZ Herald, Marmite is celebrating their 100th year in New Zealand by sending 100 ex-pat Kiwis back home. New Zealanders are encouraged to enter themselves — convincing judges why they deserve to be flown home in December — or to nominate someone else abroad. All entries are voted on by the public, but will also be judged by the folks at Marmite. They’re looking for both quality (how convincing/original entrants are) and quantity (how popular your entry is).

An important note: This is a ONE-WAY TICKET. They are paying to bring home Kiwis, not send them back out.

To see just how nuts they are for their Marmite, check out some of the contest entries.

[Image: Kent Fredric / Flickr]

Tags: birthday, celebration, contest, marmite, New Zealand

• Nick says:

Marmite is from England, not New Zealand! Not that they shouldn’t eat it there though, but still, needs to be mentioned.

• Carlo Alcos says:

Hey it’s their 100th! Let them have their fun.

• Kent Fredric says:

I might point out one important but subtle note. The substance used in that video is the British Marmite, which is substantially different to the New Zealand Marmite as shown in the image of mine you used =).

( Thanks for using it, and thanks for the credit, qudos to you! )

I’ve never sampled the British marmite, but I’m told, it has a somewhat runny consistency, while ours is more solid, to the point where that large container of Marmite I photographed could be safely inverted and its contents remain put!.

From what I’m told there are also a few taste differences, as apparently the New Zealand recipe is a reformulation/variant on the original.

( These points are all covered in detail in the linked wiki article, of course, but commenters are less likely to have read that or know better )

• Carlo Alcos says:

Thanks for the clarification Kent. Yeah, the video is more for entertainment purposes I suppose…it’s pretty funny.

• Rachel Greenberg says:

That video seriously took and unexpected turn!! Make sure you watch it all the way through. Hahahaha seriously got a good giggle from that.

• Amanda says:

Vegemite rules.
    That’s all I wanted to say :-)