HTBR 2K10: Question #3 – Meals worthy of travel

Contests — By Rachel Greenberg on December 17, 2010 at 3:11 pm

What is the dish you look forward to most when traveling for the holidays?

Perhaps Christmas Pudding is your go-to dessert of choice?

Image: m. gifford/Flickr

Or maybe you’re more of a latka aficionado?

Image: Close to Spectacular/Flickr

Need some inspiration? Check out the NileGuide employee list of our favorite (and kooky) Thanksgiving recipes.

Image: Bennett for Senate/Flickr

Rules:

1. Leave a great comment

2. We’ll pick 5 winners this week and send you an awesome NileGuide Klean Kanteen

3. After 4 weeks we’ll pick one grand prize winner who will get a $200 SkyMall gift certificate

4. Love rules so much you just want more? Want to see a picture of the Klean Kanteen? CLICK.

[Main Image: ELCapitanBSC/Flickr]

Tags: contest

• NANA’S DILL CRACKERS AND HAM CRESCENTS! I can’t make it home this year, so I made a batch for a party. The crackers were a hit (I think) around the office

• Rachel Greenberg says:

My mom’s latka’s are the most delicious item of food ever made, ever. Potato, egg, onion, salt and pepper…and then fried.

• Rachel Greenberg says:

Also the classic “Pigs in a Blanket”. Crescent Rolls wrapped around hot dogs. My Nanny made it every year for me, even when I was a vegetarian.

• Kate Morris says:

My uncle makes the best monkey bread ever … and I only get it at Christmas. I’ll run a few more miles that day just for that.

• jenni e says:

I’m not going home to Seattle until my family verifies the pickled herring has been procured.

• Lauren says:

No kidding, we have a horrible tradition for Christmas morning. We can’t open our presents or even peek under the tree until we all finish eating a huge plate of cold black eyed peas, biscuits and a massive cup of OJ. How did this tradition come about and why can’t we ignore it!!!

• erinmaury says:

We get a kick out of watching everyone pass on Gram’s green, I mean lime Jello-O salad. You know the kind … the spherical jiggly blob with canned mandarin orange segments and the suspended marshmallows leftover from the Thanksgiving sweet potato casserole. Oh yeah!

• Compote. It’s a traditional Polish drink made from dried fruits. We had it every Christmas Eve while I was growing up. Haven’t had it for several years now, since it was my grandmother who made it, and she was sick for a few years before she passed away last spring. I’m not sure anyone else in the family knows exactly how to make it the way she did, but I’m going to try this year!

• When I go to the US for the Holidays, it’s for Mother’s made-from scratch-buttermilk waffles with strawberries and whip cream. Where I live in Switzerland there are not even “real” waffle irons although I’ve found the buttermilk. I’d take a waffle iron back with me if there was not that electricity issue….

• eric says:

Toffee, and as anyone-in-the-know knows, the best toffee in North America is made in Grand Junction, Colorado: Enstrom Candies, home of the world-famous almond toffee. Melts in your mouth and sticks to your teeth.

• Christina says:

Rice pudding. It’s the traditional dessert of my Danish/Swedish family for Christmas. Inside the pudding there are dozens of skinned, cut-up almonds and one whole almond. Whoever finds the whole almond, gets the prize…usually some more nuts, candy or a gift certificate. It’s a bit of a battle, and my family will eat themselves to bursting while giving each other the evil eye.

• Christina says:

I got the almond this year…then proceeded to swallow it whole while trying to hide it in my mouth! Gack!