Explore NileGuide.com

HTBR 2K10: Question #4 – Drinks that keep you jolly

Contests — By Rachel Greenberg on December 23, 2010 at 9:51 am
Pin It

What’s the holiday drink that puts you in a jolly mood for travel (from city to city or just from the living room to the kitchen)?

Does a hot toddy get you ready for a long, cold train ride?

Image: Silly Little Man/Flickr

Or maybe a peppermint mocha gives you pep while waiting for your plane?

Image: Merelymel13/Flickr

Perhaps eggnog is the only thing that gets you through your family’s annual Christmas dinner?

Image: Joshua Rappeneker/Flickr

Got another good one? We want to hear about what you love to sip on during the holidays, whether in transit or not. Include recipes!

Rules:

1. Leave a great comment

2. We’ll pick 5 winners this week and send you an awesome NileGuide Klean Kanteen

3. After 4 weeks we’ll pick one grand prize winner who will get a $200 SkyMall gift certificate

4. Love rules so much you just want more? Want to see a picture of the Klean Kanteen? CLICK!

Tags: contest, drinks, holiday

• Rachel Greenberg says:

I brought HE’BREW to all the holiday parties I went to this year and it was a big hit! http://www.shmaltz.com/HEBREW/index.html

• Alexi says:

A cold beer at lunch in the middle of a ski day. It helps me get through an afternoon of moguls and flat light. Perhaps not more gracefully, but definitely more relaxed.

• Tyrone says:

A Black and Tan (also known as a Half and Half) It consists of half pale ale and half porter or stout (typically Sierra Neveada and Guinness for you California folks). It’s just the right mix of cozy delicious wintriness with the hoppy holiday cheer of a pale ale.

• Mary says:

Baileys – warms the tummy and reminds me of high school, but it’s still really good!!

• When I joined the Swiss Alpine Club, I learned that when you hike for a few days, a thermos of hot water for tea drinkers was essential, especially when it was cold and raining (or even snowing in the summer). It was always possible to get your thermos filled with hot water at high mountain huts and lower mountain restaurants or even at peoples’ homes (all for free, of course). Personally, I don’t like tea but I have discovered a great holiday travel powdered mix to put in my hot water and now I never travel without it. It’s made by Nescafé (at least in Switzerland) and comes in little individual envelopes with flavors like Latte Macciato, Cappucino, and Café Viennois (my favorite since it has chocolate in it) and they’re very foamy (and full of sugar).

This has been a lifesaver for travel as I hate having to get dressed in the morning at a hotel just to get a cup of coffee (whether going downstairs or even opening the door to my inevitably messy guestroom to staff for overpriced room service coffee. It was particularly brilliant on a recent trip to China where it’s easy to get hot water (available for their tea but also because they have to boil it before drinking it). China is not famous for their coffee anyway, regardless of how many stars the hotel has, so I savored every moment of my Café Viennois in the mornings and afternoons (a shot of whiskey in it now and then livens things up also).

• ErinM in London says:

Christmas morning in the UK just isn’t complete without a bottle of Buck’s Fizz: 2 parts oj/ 1 part bubbly. Originally concocted here before the French made their Mimosa debut. Cheers!

• Mulled wine – take a decently priced red wine and throw it into a pot on low. Add some brandy, a bit of honey and/or sugar and/or agave, some nutmeg, cinnamon, even black pepper if you are feeling saucy. Add a couple of glugs of brandy and a wee bit of cointreau, and heat.

Serve in favorite mug and drink whilst watching National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation

• Craig says:

Bloody Mary (with all the accouterments), shot of jagermeister, and a coors light (in that order).