Local ExpertJobs — By NileGuide Staff on December 13, 2011 at 10:41 am
Love your city? Explore, write, and share with 10Best!
We seek web-savvy, social media-loving travel writers to help us create awesome travel content on the Web. In this position, you will be the bylined Local Expert of your destination pages: writing awesome content, directing our readers toward things they might not normally find, and transforming their trips from frustrating to fabulous.
Do you like to tell people about cool new places and what to do? Are your friends and family sick of hearing about your city’s farmer’s markets/art galleries/street food/venues? You’re perfect. We want you to be the authority on your destination. In return, you’ll build your reputation as a travel writer with 10Best.com, one of the Web’s leading travel recommendation sites. Our primary demographic is American families, who have an interest in travel and food.
Working for us, you’ll:
• join a community of travel writers around the world
• have a bio / photo / byline on our site, which has a huge audience and substantial marketing dollars supporting them
• enjoy regular monthly pay for a fun, part-time gig (about 16-20 flex hours per month)
• promote the best of your destination to a worldwide audience (thus endearing yourself to your CVB and local PR firms, with whom we recommend you forge alliances)
• be able to share your high-profile work via social media
• get great experience working with a proprietary content management system
• share your personal opinions and guide travelers to a far better experience
• attract visitors to your pages
• have the opportunity to write about specific areas of expertise, including food, family travel, romantic travel, beaches, shopping, entertainment, and hotels
10Best is a division of NileGuide. Our mission is to be the world’s best source for great travel recommendations, based on real local expertise. Our network of sites includes NileGuide.com, a source of detailed travel planning information; 10Best.com, a source of expert and user reviews on restaurants, nightlife, hotels and more; and localyte.com, a place to ask travel questions and get answers from locals around the world.
Learn more about us here: http://www.10best.com/PressCenter/AboutUs/
As a 10Best Local Expert, you must:
• have stellar writing skills (this includes great spelling, great grammar, and knowing the difference between a sentence and a headline)
• be able to learn a new online system for uploading content
• make your deadlines and take your assignments very seriously
• have lots to say about your destination and a passion for sharing that info
• have the ability to quickly take on the 10Best voice and run with it
• write according to our stylistic/grammatical guidelines
• live in your destination at least part-time
• be tech savvy
• be comfortable with Facebook . . . StumbleUpon, Twitter, Google+, etc. are a plus
• be an entrepreneurial self-starter, needing little direct management
• have a college or university degree
• preferably already be able to edit photos using Picnik or other system, and do research online
• be able to generally respond within 24 hours, upon receipt of an email, M-F.
We pay per piece produced. Assignments are given monthly, and are typically due in 3-4 weeks time. Pay is about the 15th of the following month.
How to Apply:
Email your application to email@example.com and put “Application for Local Expert” in the subject of the email. Please include:
• your resume’
• a letter explaining why you would make a fantastic local expert for your destination
• travel writing samples (these can be in the form of links)
Currently we are hiring in the following destinations: