Over a quarter of the nation's inhabitants live in the Auckland region. Since the Maori alighted from their waka (canoes) to occupy the densely forested land, a steady stream of migrants have followed; Europeans, Asians and Polynesians have all made the journey to create the largest Polynesian enclave in the world. More than 50 volcanoes have erupted in Auckland, permanently scarring its landscape. The last, 600 years ago,...
Interesting Facts About Auckland:
2. Interesting fact: The Maori name for Auckland is Tamaki Makaurau.
3. Historical fact: Auckland was the capital of New Zealand for 25 years from 1842-1865.
4. Fun fact: It only takes four hours to walk from the Pacific Ocean to the Tasman Sea on the Coast-to-Coast Walkway.
5. Weird fact: You can still use pigeon post on Great Barrier Island.
6. Tall fact: The Sky Tower is the tallest structure in the Southern Hemisphere at 328 metres.
7. Nickname fact: Due to one in three Aucklanders having a boat, the city's nickname is the City of Sails.
8. Association with Japan fact: The outer lanes on the Harbour Bridge were not part of the original structure. Japanese engineers invented a way to clip them on when the bridge needed widening. Some refer to the lanes as the "Nippon Clip ons"
9. Superfluous bridge fact: The Harbour Bridge has 8 lanes but the central barrier is moveable, by a really cool machine, so that the lanes can be situated as 3/5, 5/3, or 4/4, depending on traffic flows.
10. Volcano fact: There are about 50 volcanoes around Auckland.
11. Baby volcano fact: Rangitoto, the volcano you can see out in the harbour is only about 600 or 700 years old. This means that some of the early Maori in New Zealand viewed its birth.
12. Super fact: Controversially, Auckland has recently engulfed other nearby areas to become what is known as a "Super City". Len Brown was elected mayor and residents are divided as to how, or if, the Super City will pan out. Alternatively, they were thinking of calling it the "World's Most Awesome City". Just kidding. We do like it though.
More Auckland descriptions
Things to Do
The grand neoclassical Auckland Museum is a cavernous chest of Maori taonga (treasures); time your visit to catch tattooed Maoris sticking their tongue...
5 day forecast
- chance of rain
- scattered clouds
- chance of rain
More Top 10s
- Hotels Near Auckland Botanic Gardens
- Hotels Near Auckland Harbour Bridge
- Hotels Near Auckland International Airport
- Hotels Near Britomart
- Hotels Near Rainbows End
- Hotels Near Sky Tower
- Hotels Near Victoria Park Market
- Trendy Hotels
- Hotels Near Auckland Museum