- Type: Business Travel ,Boutique ,Hip
NileGuide Expert Says:
This Sixth Street anchor and Austin landmark is said to harbor a handful of friendly ghosts, including the hotel's namesake himself, Colonel Driskill.
- Location. Located in downtown Austin, Texas, the Driskill Hotel was once the showplace of a cattle baron. Located seven miles from Austin-Bergstrom International Airport, this historic 12-story hotel is adjacent to Sixth Street entertainment district and less than one mile from the Texas State Capitol Complex.
Hotel Features. Gargoyles and busts of The Driskill Hotel's owner and his sons still peer out from high above each entrance, and shorhorn steer heads adorn the outer walls. The lobby's three-story columns reach to a stained-glass dome ceiling canopying marble floors. The hotel features a full-service business center, elegant meeting facilities wired with high-tech capabilities, and a fitness studio complete with stretching room and massage tables. The Driskill Grill offers contemporary American cuisine in elegant surroundings, while old Texas-style décor is found in the 1886 Café & Bakery, serving full breakfasts and light entrees daily. The Driskill Bar is furnished with cowhide couches and features an extensive wine list, native Texas brews, and live piano music.
Guestrooms. Palatial guestrooms and suites span from the Driskill's Traditional Wing, built in 1929 featuring the colorful surroundings of the Texas Hill Country, to the Historic Wing's vaulted decorative ceilings, detailed woodwork and balconies. Both wings include original art, lavish draperies, and opulent beds featuring Frette Italian linens. Bathrooms are outfitted with black Brazilian marble tile, brass fixtures and bathrobes. Nightly turndown service, minibars and expanded cable television are room standards. Complimentary guestroom amenities include coffee service, newspapers and high- speed Internet access.
Expert Tip. Built in 1886, the Driskill is rich in history and serves as a landmark of Texas hospitality. Its dark mahogany bar with brass railings, scrolled mirrors and crystal globes was imported from Germany and has been featured in many movies throughout the decades, including "Cabaret" in 1972. This hotel is non-smoking.
- © wcities.com 2013
show more reviews
User Reviews for Driskill (The)
Absolutely terrible hotel - awful property and even worst service
Went there for F1 weekend and spent $1.3K per night on the room. Let's start with the room. Pros: high ceilings and that about where it stops. The room itself is old, dirty...
- posted on 11.24.12
- by 765ANA
Nice place. I got married here, but the staff is rude if you're tattooed and even if you pay cash they still charge your credit card for the " room deposit". Even after...
- posted on 11.22.12
- by Jessicacooperedge
Historic and nice hotel
Service was good. Breakfast was really enjoyable inside or particularly, outside on the patio. Rooms are okay but rather dim...what you expect at a historic hotel. This is a great...
- posted on 11.20.12
- by kegobucks
Great location right on 6th street. Typical older hotel, but maintained well. Rooms are smaller and awkward, but it has a nice bed and bathroom. Definitely enjoyed the stay
- posted on 06.02.12
- Boutique Hotel 2007 – Audience Winner
- Business Hotel 2007 – Audience Winner
- Hotel Staff 2007 – Audience Winner
- Luxury Hotel 2007 – Audience Winner
- Pet-Friendly Hotel 2007 – Audience Winner
- Romantic Hotel 2007 – Audience Winner
- Tourist Hotel 2007 – Audience Winner
- Weekend Getaway Hotel 2007 – Audience Winner
- Hotel Staff 2007 – Editorial Winner
- Luxury Hotel 2006 – Editorial Winner
- Luxury Hotel 2007 – Editorial Winner
- Pet-Friendly Hotel 2007 – Editorial Winner
- Very Highly Recommended 2010
It is located directly on Sixth Street, Austin's live music hub.
- visit website
- tel: +1 512 474 5911 / +1 800 252 9367 (Toll Free)
- fax: +1 512 474 2214
- send email
- 604 Brazos Street
- At E Sixth St
- Austin, TX 78701
- Y! Travel: Driskill (The)
- breakfast included
- Destination Hotels & Resorts
Hotel star rating: