Fortunately, there is order in the chaos. At the heart of Beijing lies the Forbidden City, around which run five concentric ring roads. The first of these is barely worth mention, but the second and third are essential for navigating around town. Finally, the fourth and fifth is useful for commuting to the airport and outlying suburbs. These ring roads are broken down logically according to points of the compass, so "East Third Ring Road North Road" means the northernmost stretch of the eastern section...
Interesting Facts About Beijing:
2. Interesting fact: After Shanghai, Beijing is China's second largest city.
3. Trivia fact: the China Rose is Beijing's city flower.
4. Fun fact: the guard towers around the Forbidden City are said to be modeled after cricket cages.
5. Fact: Beijing dialect is the basis for the entire Mandarin standard language.
6. Interesting fact: basketball and football are the two top sports in China, and especially so in Beijing where you can see them played at major parks around the city.
7. Fun fact: McDonald's is the city's most popular fast food restaurant.
8. Food fact: Beijing is famous for its Peking Duck, which is a roast duck sliced a specific way and served with specific side dishes.
9. Weird fact: Beijing's most popular surname is Wang, with an estimated 11% of the city sharing the name.
10. Fact: 800 buildings make up the Forbidden City, one of Beijing's hottest tourists spots. There is also a Starbucks inside the city now.
11. Odd fact: The Beijing zoo was once called the 'Ten Thousand Animal Zoo.'
12. Interesting fact: Beijing Opera is an important part of local culture, locals practice their opera singing at parks around the city as well as frequent the opera houses.
More Beijing descriptions
Things to Do
Step past the huge Chairman Mao portrait guarding Tiananmen Square and back to an age of Ming dynasty emperors and tittering concubines roaming the mysterious Forbidden City -- off limits to the public for 500 years. Local history comes alive in the atmospheric warren of hutongs...
More Top 10s
- Hotels Around Beijing
- Hotels Near Beijing Capitol Airport
- Hotels Near Beijing Rail Station
- Hotels Near Houhai Bar and Restaurant Area
- Hotels Near Olympic Stadium
- Hotels Near San Li Tun Bar Street
- Hotels Near The Foribidden City (Palace Museum)
- Hotels Near The Summer Palace
- Hotels Near The Temple of Heaven