- At the location of the Berliner Dom (also named Berliner Cathedral) have succeeded several churches over the centuries. The first one was erected in 1465 for the Royal reigning family, the Hohenzollern, and was not more than a chapel at that time. In 1747, it was replaced by a Baroque cathedral designed by Johann Boumann and once again remodeled in 1822 by Karl Friedrich Schinkel. The actual Dom was built between 1894 and 1905 under King Wilhem II's reign. Almost completely destroyed in the Second World War, the Berliner Dom remained a ruin until restoration work finally began in 1973. Among the masterpieces of the Dom, the mosaics covering the cupola, the crypt, the altar and the altar windows are of particular interest. The Dom also houses the graves of over 80 members of the Hohenzollern family. Before leaving, take a look at the huge neo-baroque organ, one of the largest in Germany. Insider tip: do absolutely not miss the roof promenade after you've climbed the many steps leading to the coupole.
- © wcities.com 2013