- Built in 1818, the Neue Wache on Unter den Linden is a fittingly simple memorial to the catastrophies of German history. Originally designed by architect Karl Friedrich Schinkel to commemorate the Prussian soldiers who fell in the Napoleonic Wars, the building is now dedicated more generally to the victims of war and political violence. On the outside, this is one of the city's most outstanding examples of classical architecture. Yet the inside is bare, bar a lonesome a statue by Käthe Kollwitz of a mother holding her dead son. A moving symbol of the grief and tragedy of war.
- © wcities.com 2013