Berlin has become a mecca of international cuisine of late, and no visit to the city is complete without sampling some of the delicacies available.
1. More upscale than some other Thai places in town but still reasonably priced, Mao Thai is also one of the most authentic. From soup to veggies to curries, this is the place to go if you’re in the mood for a kick of hot spice.
2. At Blue Nile, food is served in the traditional Ethiopian style: a huge piece of flatbread is brought out, with a variety of tasty morsels on top of it. And it’s all eaten by hand! Definitely fun for a group.
3. Off the tourist track, Il Casolare is the place to go for some authentic rustic Italian fare, including the best pizza in the city. Pasta and main entrees are plenty good, too, and the atmosphere is as relaxed and rustic as the food, so don’t worry about dressing up!
4. Taste the innovation of Asian-European fusion at HH Muller, where lemongrass meets risotto. Seasonal and fresh, make sure to save room for one of their many impressive fruity desserts.
5. For a night out with a group, tapas at Yosoy is a fun way to try a bunch of different Spanish small plates. This is always best accompanied by a couple bottles of Spanish wine, of course.
6. Shiro I Shiro does a great job representing Berlin’s cuisine nouveau: a traditional style (sushi) is taken and turned on its head, adding in Spanish, American, and other flair. Whatever you order in this “white castle”, be prepared for something out of the ordinary.
7. For the best in French dining in Berlin, Le Cochon Bourgeois can’t be beat. Frog legs, rabbit, creme brulee… need I say more? Small yet elegant, this establishment manages to be classy and yet mostly avoid pretention.
8. Dolmas, tzatziki, lamb – all of the best of Greek cuisine are served at Ta Panta Ri, and it’s hard to find better outside of Greece. With such friendly owners and staff, you’ll feel like you’re part of a big Greek family.
9. Jonesing for some guacamole? Believe it or not, you can get some good Mexican food in Berlin. Inexpensive, quick, and healthy, Dolores makes some mean burritos. Go for the mole – it’s delicious.
10. From steak to stuffed eggplant, Am Nil has the best of Egyptian cuisine plus some. Everything here is seasoned well, which means spicy, savory, and juicy… and belly dancers to boot!
And Berliners stay out late late late, so you’ll have plenty of time to dance the night away after your big meal(s)!
[photo courtesy of magnusfranklin]