There are tons of reasons to visit Moab, the desert mecca for mountain bikers, hikers, photographers, and general red rock enthusiasts. From the national parks to the miles of trails to the famous river rapids to the good restaurants in the bustling downtown, Moab offers up a passel of delights. Here are my current faves. Let me know if you have others!
1. Arches National Park. Home of over 2,000 natural sandstone arches. Wowza.
2. Canyonlands National Park. Home of vistas to stir your heart and trails to test your mettle.
3. Slickrock Bike Trail. It’s famous, it’s awesome, it’s a must-do if you ride a mountain bike.
4. Behind the Rocks. The locals’ secret, it’s got super sweet mountain biking and hiking trails, and more arches than you’d expect.
5. Dead Horse Point Mesa Scenic Byway. A gorgeous driving road that leads to one of the most photographed vistas in the world: Dead Horse Point.
6. Tour guiding companies galore to explore the area: hike, bike, rock climb, river run, and more. Go with a pro.
7. Moab Brewery. Okay, this should definitely not be your only reason to visit Moab. But let me tell you, it’s a great way to cap off a day of exploring.
8. Delicate Arch. World-famous. Gorgeous. You gotta see it in your lifetime if you can.
9. Mesa Arch Trail. In Canyonlands, it’s short, and I bet you’ve seen sunrise photos taken from here before. Definite must-do if you’re a photographer.
10. Potash/Colorado River Scenic Byway 279. Yeah, more driving, but boy is it a sweet one. Potash Road is the place for climbers; keep your eyes peeled on the rocks high above.