What to pack before a trip is a constant dilemma. There’s always bound to be something unexpected, so it’s best to just pack prepared for anything and everything. But then again no-one’s suit case that works like a Marry Poppins bottomless carpet bag, so here are a few tips to avoid having to pay extra for overweight luggage and still have everything you need on a your stay in Budapest.
- Warm clothes: the average temperature in the winter months is between 2 and minus ten degrees so large jumpers, ski socks, hats, scarves will be welcome.
- Waterproofs: as precipitation in the form of slush and snow is not uncommon, wellies, raincoats, ski jackets will come in handy!
- Swim suits/bikinis: it’s wellness facilities and bath houses galore in Budapest, so do not leave those swim suits at home! Five star wellness hotels as well as 19th century bath houses like the infamous Széchényi await visitors who need to unthaw after a few hours of sightseeing in the freezing cold!
- Ice skates: ice skating is one of the best winter activities to do in Budapest, with Europe’s largest ice skating rink only recently renovated and opened in the picturesque surroundings of the City Park, Vajdahunyad Castle and Hero’s Square.
- Hiking boots: the Buda Hills have many scenic hiking trails perfect leisurely strolls interrupted by mulled wine stops.