Most skiers in the Northwest need no introduction to the Rockies, Canada’s winter playland. With more than 12 ski resorts and areas in the Canadian Rockies overall, and snowfall at some resorts at 23 feet (Fernie) and counting, skiers and snowboarders have an almost unlimited venue for enjoyment.
February and early March are also a great time for festivals and other events at Canadian Rockies resorts, with much of the excitement taking place on the weekend of March 5. Here are just a few of the events going on through the beginning of March:
Fernie Alpine Resort
- Feb. 23-27 – Fernie Alpine Resort hosts the Smith Optics Fernie Freeski Competition on some of its more challenging terrain and you won’t want to miss this event, which ends Sunday. Skiers will be competing for a cash purse, and there’s a spectator area set aside at the finish line.
- March 5 – The first Monster Energy Big Bump Bash kicks off to coincide with the town of Fernie’s Griz Days, a major Rockies winter celebration. This year is destined to be a great time to be at Fernie.
Kimberley Alpine Resort
- March 5 – The Greasy Rail Jam returns to Kimberley Alpine Resort for the fifth year, with lots of opportunities for riders to demonstrate their best moves and win prizes.
Revelstoke Mountain Resort
- March 5 – Turn up at Revelstoke Mountain Resort and register for the Helly Hansen Big Mountain Battle – oh, and bring a friend! Teams of two of all ages can compete.
- March 5 – Also, same day is Girls Day Out at Revelstoke with coaching, tips, prizes and a great lunch at Rockford Grill.
Red Mountain Resort
- Feb 24-27 – Red Mountain Resort’s FIS race is happening now! It goes until Sunday, outside of Rossland.
- March 4-6 – Snowboarders, don’t forget to return next week to watch/compete in the BCSA Snowboard Cross. The RBC snowboard event follows on March 6 for younger riders interested in honing their skills and eventually competing on the slopes.
Stay tuned for more events in future posts!