Snowfall has been terrific in many parts of the Canadian Rockies region during the last two weeks, adding to an already excellent opportunity for skiing and snowboarding. Many resorts continue their showcase of winter events and advantages for hitting the slopes this season:
Red Mountain Resort
- March 12-20 – Red’s Spring Fest will take advantage of its new day lodge and feature more than a week of comps and events, such as the Ski Cross Open and the RBC Riders Board Cross.
- March 27 and April 2 The season winds up with Red’s Slush Cup and Dummy Downhill (why is it the poor makeshift dummies always get the last run?)
Kimberley Alpine Resort
- March 12 – Kimberley, the BC Rockies’ Bavarian village, provides the ideal setting for Kimberley Alpine Resort’s second annual Beerfest, March 12, 2011. Sample some Labatt Beer, grab a bratwurst, but by all means be sure to take in some skiing!
- April 2 – Sadly, even the skiing season must come to an end – so be sure to mark your calendars for Kimberley’s Spring Splash, where you can join in on the Pond Skimming and Dummy Downhill Comps. Can’t imagine what skiing and ponds have to do with each other? Turn out and watch! There will be music and Kimberley’s Bavarian beer garden to keep the tempo up.
Fernie Alpine Resort
- March 19 – Fernie Alpine Resort features its 80s weekend with live DJ music and a beer garden featuring Kokanee Beer, the Canadian Rockies’ original brew.
- March 26 – Families will enjoy Fernie’s Got Talent Family Event, which will have multiple attractions and activities for kids of all ages. More information to be released by Fernie soon.
- April 2 – Be sure to turn out for the Last Chance Rail Jam – cash prizes will be awarded. Helmets are mandatory and parents signed authorization is required for minors.
Panorama Mountain Village
With the recent change in management at Panorama Mountain Village, this season has seen major upgrades, including a totally relocated and revamped terrain park, expanded night skiing, a new black diamond 25 acre/10 hectare run, a revised snow school program and a new access to the beginner slopes.
There’s lots to take advantage of in this last month of skiing at all of the Canadian Rockies ski resorts, and judging from current snow reports, it’s going to continue to be a great season!
Be sure to check out NileGuide’s other two Rockies blogs as well:
See you in the Rockies!