Cancun’s hotel zone has approximately 75 hotels, and countless condo properties, which can be an overwhelming amount to sort through when trying to decide where to stay for your family vacation.
First, you need to decide if you want to stay in an all-inclusive hotel, where all of your meals and drinks will be included in the price, or if you’d like a hotel or condo that only offers no meals or drinks (European Plan). Since Cancun has nearly 40 all-inclusive resorts, it will still take you a while to pick the resort that is right for you, should you opt for an all-inclusive vacation. To make your task easier, we’ve compiled a list of Cancun’s Top 5 Family-Friendly Hotels.
All of the hotels on our list are located right on the beach and all happen to be all-inclusive properties, but that was not intentional. It just so happens that Cancun’s best family-friendly resorts are all-inclusive resorts. Of course, there are quite a few other resorts in Cancun that are great for families but we chose to focus on only five. Hotels are listed in alphabetical order.
1. Cancun Palace is all-inclusive resort that is part of the popular Palace Resorts hotel chain. The hotel has a large pool area, several restaurants, and well-appointed rooms that come equipped with a two-person jacuzzi tub. Cancun Palace has a kid’s club, for children ages 4-17 years of age. The kid’s club supervisors engage youngsters in a variety of age-appropriate activities, throughout the day. The kid’s club has its own pool with a play area.
2. Club Med Cancun Yucatan, an all-inclusive resort at the southernmost tip of Cancun’s hotel zone, is on a lovely beach that normally has calm waters. This is one of the few spots where you can snorkel from shore, on the Caribbean side of the hotel zone. Club Med started the world’s first all-inclusive resorts, 60 years ago, so they know what they are doing. Each of their hotels is specifically geared to certain groups of travelers and the Cancun property caters to families. The hotel has a kid’s club, for children ages 4-11, and they provide baby beds, high chairs, strollers, bottle warmers and other items you may need when traveling with an infant. There is a “Baby Corner” in the main restaurant, where you can prepare food for your little one. Club Med doesn’t stop there though. The hotel also has a Teen Spa, for ages 13 and up, a talent show for children, and even cooking classes exclusively for kids from 6-10 years old.
3. Crown Paradise Club has a unique concept. Not only do they cater to families, but they also have certain floors of the hotel that are exclusively for adult guests. It’s a smart way to appeal to the masses. This hotel has several room categories specifically for families. Some of the room types accommodate up to 2 adults and 3 children in one room, while the Family Paradise suites can sleep up to 4 adults and 3 children. The Family Paradise units have 2 levels and are equipped with two full bathrooms. Crown Paradise Club has a mini-golf course and a water park with a pirate ship & water slides. Children, ages 4-12, can spend their days at the hotel’s kid’s club, where they can play games or frolic in the pool. There is also a Baby Club for children from 18 months to 3 years of age. The clubs are open from 9am-5pm and also from 6pm-10pm, which will give mom and dad a chance to enjoy a kid-free meal, if they so choose.
4. Dreams Cancun Resort & Spa, ideally located at the northern tip of Cancun’s hotel zone, is walking distance to shopping, restaurants, and nightlife. The hotel is surrounded by water on three sides and has two beaches with calm waters. The surf can be quite rough in Cancun and is not always safe for little ones to play in the water, but rough waters are rarely an issue at Dreams Cancun. This hotel has a dolphinarium on-site, where you can see and swim with dolphins. The hotel has Dolphin View rooms available in the pyramid tower and they are a big hit with kids (and adults, for that matter). Unfortunately, swimming with dolphins is not included in the hotel’s all-inclusive package. The kid’s club at Dreams hotels are wonderful. The Explorer Club not only has activities to entertain children throughout the day, but they also have a camp-out, on the beach, one night a week.
5. Great Parnassus has a great kid’s club. It has a pirate theme and there is even a pirate ship in the middle of the pool. It looks like so much fun but, alas, it is only for children. In addition to the super-cool kid’s club, this hotel also has Family Rooms available. The family rooms sleep up to 2 adults and 3 children. Most hotels in Cancun only allow a maximum of four people in the room, so this can be a big money-saver for a family of five.
- Children playing at Explorer’s Club, the kid’s club at Dreams Cancun Resort & Spa | Photo courtesy of DreamsResorts.com