Feeling lucky in love? Hoping to get hitched in 2012? Pop the question in Puerto Viejo de Limon, Costa Rica and chances are your amor will answer affirmatively, and if she or he is anything like me, it will be a resounding “Si! Si! Si!” There’s something magical about this far-flung enclave on the cusp of the Caribbean that captures the hearts of romantic souls, and vows taken here are blessed with good vibrations. Advice to proposers: Consider that the tropical weather is highly unpredictable, and keep that ring safe from the rugged climes.
1) Cocles Lookout Point. Ask a local if you don’t spot the turn off along the Cocles trail that leads to a steep climb to a stellar point with a small landing that suits two to a tee. Overlooking Cocles rock from up high is an exhilarating experience, an excellent complement to a dream-come-true proposal. Bonus Tip: Look for the stone that resembles La Boca de la Verita, and if you’re so inclined, confirm your honey’s vows with a quick test: put your fingers inside and see what happens!
2) Playa Chiquita. This exquisite string of coral reef protected sandy beaches are pristine coves, remote and completely au naturel. Getting to this perfect proposal spot is by way of incognito paths through the rainforest, so scouting your spot out ahead is strongly suggested. The most precious are not necessarily marked, but all of these coconut palm fringed beaches will (I) do just fine in my book. Bonus tip: Before you go, on the main road just south of Jungle Love cafe, stop at El Duende Gourmet, where the newly expanded European bodega now carries an impressive collection of the best wines and champagnes in the region. While you’re there, pick up some nibblers from the market’s bounty of cheeses, handmade pastries, and basically everything you may need pre and post proposal. Salud!
3) Salsa Brava. At sunset, this reef studded beach is an ideal in-town site to set the tone for a marriage of many moons. If it rains, you can seek shelter, drinks, and dinner in the restaurant of the same name, which holds the bragging rights to the best beach front view, plus it boasts clandestine candlelit tables on the sand.
4) Pecora Nera. This is an amazing Italian restaurant tucked away down a wooded path a few kilomters south of the town center. A wedding proposal would be a oh-so-apropos here, even the butterflies are in love around this open-air oasis. It’s wise to call ahead and reserve your table for two, and make sure you don’t miss the chance to experience an exceptional Italian meal, especially when the owner and head chef Ilario is there to give you a little taste of home.
5) Punta Uva’s Blue Grotto. Excellent choice for the more adventurous duo, since it requires a modest hike up the lush cliff that divides Punta Uva in two. Climb up, then clamber down to find this breathtaking natural tunnel of turquoise water. Bonus Tip: Swap the somewhat strenuous hike to the blue grotto for a stress-free proposal on the sandy beach; the beauty of Punta Uva is a stellar backdrop for bride and groom to be….