Florence is a very walkable city. As I told you before, you must bring comfy shoes. But I wanted to give you some tips that I learned living here. There are many things you need to be aware of when walking or strolling down the streets of Florence.
- Standing in the middle of the sidewalk is a no-no. When looking at a map move out of the way of the walkers coming up behind you.
- When you hear a bell, get out of the middle of the street. There is a bike behind you.
- Clip-clop of hooves. There is a horse carriage trying to get through. Move to the sidewalk, please.
- Street cleaners. They drive slow but they also aren’t afraid to take you out. Laura from Ciao Amalfi, was a victim of this.
- When you hear a LOUD horn, buses are a-coming. Make sure when you decide to stroll in the middle of a somewhat busy street that there is a possibility that a bus, tiny or big, might be catching up to you. Be cautious.
- When you hear a BEEP, Taxis are a-coming. In the center, for sure, there are many taxis that pass through the busy pedestrian streets. Keep your eyes peeled and grab onto loved ones from being hit by a taxi. (NOTE: No worries, taxis will not be speeding on pedestrian streets).
I’m not saying that you can’t enjoy a nice evening stroll in Florence. Just be aware of your surroundings and keep your ears open. Enjoy walking safely in Florence, Italy. :)