The schools are off on holiday and lots of people are staying in Glasgow in October. Lets have a look at what you can get up to this month in the city. If you are scratching your head wondering what to get up to…relax there is lots on offer for all the family!
October Festivals in Glasgow
The great thing about Glasgow is that there are festivals happening every month of the year! lets take a look for this month…
Scottish Mental Health Arts & Film Festival 1st October to 24 October 2010
The Festival now in it’s 4 year gets people digging into the issues surrounding mental health. The festival celebrates the artistic achievements of people whose lives have been touched by mental health issues. Come along to one of the many events and experience the relationship between creativity and the mind, and witness how the festival endevours to promote positive mental health and well being. The festival tackles broad subjects and events include
- visual art
- …something for all tastes.
To boot many of the tickets are free or low cost so that no-one is excluded.
Glasgay Scotland’s Annual Celebration of Queer Culture 14 Oct – 13 November 2010
Get involved in events spanning
- visual art
- community arts projects.
Inspiration Festival 25 October 5 November 2010
This yearly festival of the arts for children and kids is now in its 12th year. Enjoy family days, performances, workshops, events and activities for pre-schoolers and older kids. Get all the information from the Arts Development Officer for Children and Young People. Phone: 0141 287 9843
Glasgow Parks in October
Glasgow has over 90 parks and formal gardens and there is lots to do during the October week:
Pollock Country Park
- Nature Crafts Saturday 9th – Sunday 17th 11:00am – 3:00pm
- Behind the Scenes Tuesday 12th & Thursday 14th 1:30 – 2.30pm
- Clydesdale Horses Monday 11th – Friday 15th 1:00 – 2:30pm Shower and shampoo
- Highland Cattle Wednesday 13th 1:30-3:00pm – Join the Stockman and find out more about Pollok’s Famous Fold of Highland Cattle – strong footwear advised.
- Heritage Walks – Natural & Cultural Monday 11th and Friday 15th meet 1pm at Riverside Car Park.
Glasgow Green 11th – 15th October 2010 – 12 noon – 2.00pm
Dray rides are being held with the Clydesdale Horses, come along and meet them at the Doulton Fountain next to the People’s Palace… it’s FREE.
Well I went along with my kids today for the drey rides 12/10/10. It was a crisp chilly day but the event was enjoyed by all. Take a look at our pics…
Getting ready to ride through the park…
Rose my daughters friend was scared of the Clydesdale horses…no need they were great!
We stopped off in the cafe at Glasgow Green to refuel!
2 days left of the free rides…get down there, but dress warmly!
Magnificent 7 – Golden Hues – Linn Park Sunday 17th October 2010 – 10.00am – 4.30pm
A themed walk on the Southside of Glasgow. This walk leaves from Linn Park and travels through a further six magnificent greenspaces, stopping at Cathkin Braes for lunch. Best suited to regular walkers with good footwear. Please bring a packed lunch. To book a place call Countryside Rangers on 0141 276 0931. Free
Autumnal Treats 23 October 2010, 10am People’s Palace & Winter Gardens, Glasgow
Let the park rangers lead you and the kids on hunt for foods that are plentiful on the banks of the Clyde. Then when you get back..if you have the energy you can head into the kitchen to rissle up some treats.
- Ash Pickle
- Rosehip Syrups
- Sloe Gyn
Walk begins outside the People’s Palace. Booking advised. Email: email@example.com
Farrier at Pollok Country Park 22 September 2010 – 26 October 2010, 9:30am
Watch as the farrier gives the working horses at Pollok Country Park their new shoes.
The Big Draw in Glasgow
People of all ages are coming together in an international festival of drawing this October. Lets look at Glasgow…
Gallery of Modern Art Big Draw – 11 October 2010 to 14 October 2010
Make the October holiday a creative one, with exciting, messy arty workshops as part of the national Big Draw all throughout the week.
The Big Draw — Big Comic Book Day Mackintosh Church 14 October 2010, 1pm
In celebration of the national Big Draw campaign, create your own comic strip, and have it added to the Big Comic Book for everyone to see.
The Big Draw at Glasgow Museums 2 October 2010 to 10 October 2010
A range of family events:
- The Burrell on the south side is hosting an event with a Norman slant.
- People’s Palace has activities throughout the day, adults are not left out.. they get sketching tours
- GOMA will be holding a ‘Design a City of the Future’ event..get down there and get your creative juices flowing, you just might suprize yourself.
Glasgow October Football
Let’s have a look at what the 2 major stadiums are up to this month…
Rangers Soccer Schools October Holiday Football Centres 11 October 2010 to 15 October 2010
Training for kids from the Rangers coaches, including work on skills and tournament-style games
Ticket Prices – Five full days £70; five half-days £35.
Football Premier League
- Rangers vs Motherwell 16th Oct 2010 KO 15:00 Ground: Ibrox Stadium
- Celtic vs Rangers 24th Oct 2010 KO 12:45 Ground: Celtic Park
- Rangers vs Inverness CT 30th Oct 2010 KO 15:00 Ground: Ibrox Stadium
Glasgow October Entertainment
- OXJAM BIG CEILIDH Oct 20, 2010 6:00 pm – 11:30 pm Glasgow Hilton Grosvenor (West End)Oxjam is a music festival made up of hundreds of events around the UK in October all in aid of Oxfam. Oxjam events, raise in excess of £1 million to fight poverty around the world. Two great Ceilidh bands will be on stage at the Hilton for the night. So come and dance with us and help us raise loads of cash for a great cause! Tickets £6.00.
- Sheryl Crow Oct 11, 2010 7:00 pm SECC – Scottish Exhibition and Conference Centre
- Doctor Who Live Oct 14, 2010 7:00 pm SECC – Scottish Exhibition and Conference Centre
- BBC Good Food Show 22-24 October 2010
Celebrate The Commonwealth Games Handover from Dehli 2010 to Glasgow 2014 on 14 October
All across Scotland in local venues people will watch live the handover and have their own celebrations and parties. Here is what is happening in Glasgow city centre.
The Old Fruitmarket, Glasgow 14/10/2010, 13.30
A large scale dance set bringing together young people , dance students and local dance groups working with dance choreographers to be performed in George Square and adapted for a Delhi Flag Handover event at the Old Fruitmarket, Merchant City. An artist will also be working on-site with children to design flags. The event will reflect Commonwealth themes – humanity, equality, destiny, friendship and co-operation. I will be attending the handover event in West Dunbartonshire with my kids Hannah and Hamad. I will be posting pics and how it went on the blog.
Post Glasgow Commonwealth Games Handover
I attended the bash in west Dunbartonshire and it was absolutely fantastic and has wet the appetite of many, for the series of events that will occur over the next 4 years in preparation for the Glasgow commonwealth games. See just a sneak peak at some of my snaps…
My kids along with the rest got into the spirit on arrival at the Playdrome and dabbled in some national pride face painting and of course a wee flag or two.
There were a few kilt wearers around.. so hard to resist the urge to lift one from the back…just to see if it’s true what they say about what a Scotsman wears under his kilt!
The venue was busy and the entertainment had an Indian influence with Indian dancing and music. There was various sporting and dancing entertainment too, prior to and after the live viewing of the handover in Dehli….a great day!
Halloween in Glasgow
The majority of pubs and clubs will have Halloween themes lets take a look at events for families and kids…
- Glasgow Science Centre – Halloween party 29 October 2010.Scary science fun and treats.
- The National Museum of Rural Life( near East Kilbride) 31 October.Enjoy ghost stories, apple dooking and games.
- Glasgow Royal Concert Hall Magic and Monsters on 31 October.A scary halloween concert.
- Zombie walk 31 October Walk with the dead in the West End!
Glasgow fashion week this year is 27-31st October. It promises to be yet again a glam annual event. The week showcases itself as young, vibrant and different from the world’s more traditional fashion weeks. Designs are showcased from all around the world!
Well that our round up for this October be sure to check out all Glasgow events…enjoy!