Visitors to Lake Tahoe may be overwhelmed by the numerous things to do, see, eat and experience. After living in the Lake Tahoe/Reno area for over 35 years, I’ve experienced many things in and around this beautiful alpine lake, so narrowing them all down to 50 things might be a bit of a challenge. This list contains my personal favorite places to eat, spend time with friends and enjoy the outdoors at Big Blue.
1. Eat bagels and cream cheese at Rude Brothers in South Lake Tahoe.
2. Get topless or nude at Secret Harbor.
3. Cross-country ski or snowshoe at Tahoe Meadows.
4. Hike Mt. Tallac.
5. Hike to Eagle Lake.
6. Kayak camp at Emerald Bay.
7. Sail on the Woodwind catamaran.
8. Go swimming at Sand Harbor in August.
9. Watch a Shakespeare play.
10. Eat dinner at Christy Hill in Tahoe City.
11. Get coffee or ice cream at Gear & Grind.
12. Watch live music at the Fat Cat Café.
13. Walk along the Tahoe City Boardwalk.
14. Ski the Round the World run at Mt. Rose Ski Tahoe.
15. Hike the Ophir Creek Trail.
16. Shop in downtown Truckee.
17. Visit the Vikingsholm Castle.
18. Hang out in the hot springs at David Walley’s Resort.
19. Kayak the Tahoe Keys.
20. Get a cheap lunch at Lupitas in Incline Village.
21. Walk through the fall colors at Fallen Leaf Lake.
22. Hike Mt. Rose.
23. Hike the Tahoe Rim Trail.
24. Hike to Marlette Lake.
25. Hike around Echo Lakes.
26. Lay out on Lester Beach.
27. Camp at D.L. Bliss State Park.
28. Jump off the public piers at Donner Lake.
29. Eat breakfast at the Fire Sign Café near Tahoe City.
30. Eat brunch at the Squeeze Inn in Truckee.
31. Eat with a view at the Cottonwood in Truckee.
32. Eat with a view at the Chart House.
32. Take the Aerial Tram to the overlook at Heavenly.
33. Grab a beer at the bar at the Lone Eagle Grille in Incline Village.
34. Hike the Rubicon Trail.
35. Get a glass of wine at Uncorked.
36. Visit High Camp at Squaw Valley.
37. Go ice skating at the South Lake Tahoe Ice Arena.
38. Get a mocha or latte at Coffeebar in Truckee.
39. Browse the stacks at Truckee Book & Bean.
40. Shop at Jai Yen Treasures in Kings Beach.
41. Lounge and listen to music at the Divided Sky in Meyers.
42. Get pizza and beer at Mofo’s Pizza and Pasta in Incline Village.
43. Get pizza and beer at the Brewery in South Lake Tahoe.
43. Get the Caesar Salad at Pianeta in Truckee.
44. Go sledding at Tahoe Meadows.
45. Get ice cream at Camp Richardson.
46. Get burgers and fries at Izzy’s Burger Spa.
47. Get Thai food at Thai Recipe in Incline Village.
48. Hike to Winnemucca Lake to see the wildflowers.
49. Parasail on the North Shore.
50. Have a picnic at Kings Beach in the wintertime.
Photo of Mt. Tallac trail courtesy of [Miguel Vieira/Flickr]