Dealing With Emergencies in Madrid

Travel Tips — By Sarah E. Rogers on July 13, 2011 at 2:54 pm

Statistically speaking, there is no reason to worry in Madrid and you will most likely have a lovely vacation. However, sometimes stuff happens like anywhere else in the world: passports get lost, wallets get stolen, people have heart attacks, etc. So we’ll let you know what to do. Print this page and take it with you on your travels in Madrid so you’ll know what steps to take if something does go wrong.

Note: If you speak Spanish, that’s awesome. However, Madrid has emergency personnel who speak English too.

Medical Emergency

If a medical emergency arises, call the emergency line: 112. A Samur ambulance will respond to you very quickly. They will provide you with immediate medical attention and then transport you to the nearest hospital if you require additional medical attention.


If you see fire, get out of the area as fast as possible and call the fire department at 112. They will be there in a flash.


If you need police attention, call 091. Or to report a crime, call 902 102 112 or go to any of Madrid’s police stations. You will need to sign a statement. However, the police station on Calle Leganitos, 19 specializes in matters and crimes involving visitors. There the forms are available in different languages and the staff includes language interpreters.

Stolen Passport

If your passport is stolen, you should immediately report it to the police at 902 102 112. Then report it to your country’s embassy. They should be able to get you a new passport within 72 hours.

Lost Items

If you accidentally leave one of your belongings on a train, bus or subway in Madrid, or in any of the stations, you can inquire at the customer service or lost and found offices at the main terminals. Items are held for up to two years.

Consumer Protection

If you receive truly unsatisfactory service at any commercial establishment in Madrid (something on the order of getting completely ripped off), ask them to fix the problem. If they refuse, then ask them for an “Official Complaint Form,” which by law they are required to give you. The forms are available in Spanish and English and are in triplicate: the pink copy is for you, the green copy is for the establishment and the white copy is what you must send to the government at the address that appears on the form.

Photo: Jorge Correa