Lovers are always welcome on the Central Coast. The place practically begs for romance. Here are the top 5 places to propose, in no particular order. If you’ve got a suggestion for another locale that’s perfect for proposals, or a story about how you popped the big question in Santa Cruz, Big Sur, and anywhere in between, please leave them in the comment section below.
1. Lovers Point, Monterey. It’s all in the name. Lovers Point is one of the most popular sunset seeing spots in all of Monterey, but you can also scope the sunrise here too, thanks to a geographic
anomaly (since most of Monterey Bay is south facing, it’s rare you catch either phenomenon over the open sea). So whether you’re hoping to propose before the rest of the world wakes up or want to pop the question under a watercolor sky with a few stars as your only witnesses, Lovers Point will help your betrothed remember the moment for a lifetime.
2. Lighthouse Field State Park, Santa Cruz. Nothing beats a panoramic view of the Pacific Ocean, at any time of day, to pop the big question. Lighthouse Field sits atop a rock cliff that juts out into the waters, making it the perfect place to see the entire Monterey Bay all at once. Surfers are almost always shredding Steamer Lane, so when your lucky lady or guy is distracted by their wave riding prowess, you can surprise them with the big question.
3. The Wharf, Capitola. It’s an innocent enough suggestion: Why don’t we walk to the end of the Capitola Wharf? Once you and your soon-to-be-betrothed make it to the end of the rustic
pier, have a chance to take in the memorizing waters of the Pacific, and spend a moment gazing at the Italian-esque Capitola coast line, the scene will be set for a perfect proposal. Your fiance won’t ever forget the picture perfect setting.
4. Carmel Beach, Carmel. While you really can’t go wrong popping the question anywhere in fairy-tale Carmel, asking the big one on the shores of one of the world’s most beautiful beaches probably takes the cake. The soothing waves will calm your jitters and soft sands are guaranteed to get both of you in the mood for love. Pack a picnic with a local wine, cheeses, plus artisan breads and let the scenery wash over you both.
5. Bixby Bridge, Big Sur. Most bridges don’t carry a “romantic” connotation when you think
about them, but Bixby breaks that rule. Find a vantage point just before or beyond the bridge, cuddle up with your honey, and watch the sun cross the sky. There’s an eerie, hypnotizing beauty as car headlights are flicked on to compensate for the fading light. Twilight is definitely the best time to propose if you picked Bixby Bridge to pop the question.