It’s warming up already and that means one thing to people in Munich: it’s almost beer garden weather. Munich is famous for being the beer capital of the world and it also happens to have several of the largest and most famous beer gardens in the world.
A beer garden, in Munich, is quite simply a large outdoor Bavarian restaurant. During the warmer months of the year this usually means that families head out to beer gardens for picnics, groups of friends go for a few liters to unwind at the end of the day, tourists go there to feel the energy and sample the beer, and sometimes people go there simply to eat in a relaxed environment. Everyone in Munich has their own personal favorite beer garden, but if you take the time to go to those on this list, you’ll have a pretty good idea of what a beer garden is meant to be.
- Hofbräu Keller – The Hofbräu Keller is the outdoor brother of the infamous Hofbräu Haus and deserves nearly as much credit. It features a mostly tourist-free atmosphere, children’s play area, and 1,900 seats.
- Augustiner Keller – Augustiner’s most famous beer garden is also the 3rd largest in the world. As it is less than a ten minute walk from the Hauptbahnhof (main train station), it also has one of the most convenient locations. It features a children’s play area, 5,000 seats, and possibly the liveliest atmosphere of any beer garden.
- Hirschgarten – The largest beer garden in the world. At 8,000 seats, the Hirschgarten serves Augustiner beer to the masses and is just enough out of the way that it remains mostly untouched by tourists. This one has it all: deer, children’s play area, and feeling that you’re not in the city while being very much right in the middle of it.
- Paulaner am Nockherberg – Directly next door to the actual brewery and far from 99% of the tourists in the city, this 3,000 seat beer garden is the perfect place for a relaxing evening out.
- Löwenbräu Keller – Just outside Löwenbräu’s flagship beer hall, this beer garden has some of the best food in town and with 1,000 seats it is still plenty of space for any size group.