If you aren’t hitting the slopes this weekend, maybe what you crave is a wine country getaway. Some fun reasons to head for Napa:
1. Eat Thanksgiving dinner aboard the Napa Valley Wine Train. Relax with family and friends and savor the scenery while executive chef Kelly Macdonald treats you to a multicourse traditional feast with all the trimmings.
2. Join the City of Yountville, the Napa Valley’s capital of gourmet dining, in celebrating the 22nd annual Festival of Lights. The tree lighting ceremony runs from 2 to 6 p.m. on Friday, complete with Santa’s arrival, carriage rides, and the unveiling of the Bay Area’s most spectacular outdoor ice rink.
3. Float above the Napa Valley in a hot air balloon guided by the experts at Balloons Above the Valley. The view from the air is spectacular at any time of year, but in the crisp clear air of winter you can see just that much farther.
4. Take a tour at Beringer Vineyards. The history tour includes the winery’s original 1875 Victorian house, while the family tour features an exploration of the original winery and stone tunnels.
5. Check out the Dreams of Toyland exhibit opening at the Napa Valley Museum. Curated by renowned collector Dolph Gotelli, the exhibition features vintage and antique toys, games, decorations and Victorian ornaments.