About one-half hour northeast of New Haven is the community of North Branford, which is getting ready for the annual North Branford Potato and Corn Festival during the first full weekend of August.
The motto for the 2010 festival is “Get baked and shucked with us again!”
- Friday, August 6, 4 – 11p.m.
- Saturday, August 7, 9 a.m. – 10 p.m.
- Sunday, August 8, 9 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Parking instructions: $5 limited on-site parking and $10 limited premier parking. Admission to the festival is free and off-site parking is free and supported with free shuttles.
Live entertainment includes local bands, pianist Kim Myers, a truck pull, Saturday night fireworks, a pancake breakfast on Sunday, plus rides and animals all three days for the children.
Daily contests for everyone to enter include:
- Friday: corn eating, corn shucking, sweet potato pie eating, potato peeling and potato sack races.
- Saturday: more potato peeling and corn shucking contests along with the corn eating contest plus a potato toss and a pie eating contest.
- Sunday: three-legged races, a mashed potato making contest, jump rope run contest, hula hoop contest, the very challenging mashed potato catching contest, another sweet potato pie eating contest and more potato sack races along with wheelbarrow races.
Sunday also is the big day for runners:
9 a.m. – 1K Tater Trot
9:30 a.m. – 5K Fitness Walk
9:30 a.m. – 5K X-Country Spud Run
Crafts, activities, contests for dogs and presentations by local nonprofit organizations will be featured at the festival throughout the weekend.
For information and directions, call the festival main office at 203-315-6017 or visit its website.