Days are hot and nights are cool in Orange County in the summer, a perfect atmosphere to relax and listen to some music after a day at the beach. Here are some of the best concerts coming up in 2011.
Get out for a picnic and some good music! There will be food for sale or you can bring your own. The concerts are held on Wednesday nights from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. at Fullerton Sports Complex (560 E. Silver Pine St.).
- July 13 – Southbound (70’s and Southern Rock)
- July 20 – HELP (Beatles Tribute Band)
- July 27 – The James Harman Band (Blues)
- August 3 – The Mighty Cash Cats (Johnny Cash Tribute Band)
- August 10 – Yard Sale (Classic Rock)
- August 17 – The Lucky Stars (Country)
Family-friendly concerts at Fairmont Park in Costa Mesa (2323 Placentia Ave.) on Tuesday nights in July, starting at 5:30 p.m.
- July 5 – The Peggy Nelson Project, Top 40 hits
- July 12 – Time Bomb, Classic Rock
- July 19 – Help, Beatles Tribute band
- July 26 – Flattop Tom and his Jumpcats, Swing, Blues & Oldies
Irvine will hold three free concerts to celebrate the city’s 40th Anniversary at Woodbridge Community Park
(20 Lake Road). There will be food trucks on site with food for purchase and proceeds benefiting the Irvine Public Schools Foundation, the Irvine 2/11 Marine Adoption Committee and other Irvine non-profit organizations.
- July 23 at 5:30 p.m. – Gregg Young and The 2nd Street Band
- July 31 – Target Symphony in the Cities featuring the Pacific Symphony
- 5:30 p.m. – Musical Playground
- 7:00 p.m. – Concert
- August 14 at 6 p.m. – Tina Turner Tribute with the Proud Mary Band
Newport Beach offers both concerts and Shakespeare by the Sea, an evening of Shakespeare performed by a professional acting troupe. The concerts will be from 6-7 p.m. and for the Shakespeare performance, pre-show activities begin at 6:45 p.m. and then the curtain will go up at 7 p.m. The events will each be held on two evenings, so click the Newport Beach link to the events calendar for exact dates. You can also call the Cultural Arts FAQ Hotline at 949-644-3211 for more details.
Surfin’ Sundays Concert Series offers free music on Sunday nights from July through September, sponsored by the International Surfing Museum.
- July 17 – Multiple performers, 11 a.m.-5 p.m., Pier Plaza
- July 31 – Multiple performers, 1-4 p.m., museum back lot
- August 14 – Multiple performers, 11 a.m.-5 p.m., Pier Plaza
- August 28 – Surfer Joe, Kelp 1-4 p.m., museum back lot
- Sept 11 – Mauraders, The Fabulous Nomads, 1-4 p.m., back lot
- Sept 18 – Surf Rockers & Guest, 1-4 p.m., museum back lot
- Sept 25 – Multiple performers, 11 a.m.-5 p.m., Pier Plaza
Pier Plaza – 315 Pacific Coast Highway (PCH & Main St.)
Surfing Museum – 411 Olive (in parking lot)
Photo Credit: laffy4k on Flickr