A couple of Twitter mates gave me some extra tips on good spots in Perth to get a meal for $5 or less, and I’m so grateful to them finding a few more affordable spots. Big thanks in particular to @maxveenhuyzen and @thinkfeldie for being right on the ball with budget lunches in central Perth and surrounds. If you’re in need of a not-too-expensive lunch while in Perth, in addition to my Mount Lawley idea they can also suggest:
- Govinda’s Hare Krishna Restaurant, 200 William Street in Northbridge – great for healthy lunches of the vegetarian Indian variety
- Similarly – down on the water at the Barrack Street jetty try Annalakshmi – similar food but unique in that you just pay what you feel like. Sure, $5 would be a bit on the low side of what I’d feel comfortable paying – the food is divine and you’re looking over the river – but if you just had a small snack from the buffet, that could work.
- The Chilliz chain of Malaysian-style food – I’m told they do chicken rice for less than $5 and they have outlets at 138 Murray Street, Perth, as well as close to the University of WA and Curtin University.
- Taka’s Kitchen – a chain of three Japanese restaurants which serve very reasonably-priced meals. I can personally vouch for the Barrack Street version – not far from the Perth central train station. There are also Taka’s in Shafto Lane in the city centre and in Fremantle.
- Alfred’s Kitchen near the Guildford train station is an iconic local burger shop with lunches starting at around A$6.
I’ll be checking out some of these restaurants as soon as I can – at least I know my budget allows it! – and will add any more as they come to hand. Happy cheap eating!
Photo of happy eaters at Annalakshmi courtesy of delcond.