An important part of any couple’s getaway is having a romantic outing to a great, romantic restaurant. And in San Juan, there’s plenty to choose from. Sharing a divine meal with your sweetheart will surely add some sparks to your vacation. The winning places listed here all share common themes: great ambiance, delicious cuisine and a romantic element. San Juan is Puerto Rico’s capital for good food and good times. Get ready for an unforgettable dinner date with these destinations.
1. Aguaviva: If you and you’re main squeeze want to drink and dine at the same time, head to Aguaviva. When first stepping inside, an über-cool ceviche bar welcomes you with fresh oysters and a variety of ceviche plates to order while the main menu awaits to delight you later. Mahi-mahi in guava balsamic syrup and fried red snapper with lobster in plantain mash and butter are just part of their seafood extravaganza. As for drinks, pineapple mojito and watermelon sangria are a must-try. Once cited amongst the best new restaurants in the world, Aguaviva is surely an exciting choice for couples in Puerto Rico’s historic Old San Juan.
2. Dragonfly: Aguaviva’s neighbor, Drangonfly is an intimate and tiny Pan-Asian restaurant ideal for couples. Lines during the weekends can be frustrating, but come early or during the weekday and enjoy this place. The Chinese red, opiun den-inspired interior is very sensual and luscious; just the perfect backdrop for a romantic dining experience.
3. La Casita Blanca: Purely local and with tons of character, this restaurant is an interesting alternative for couples seeking a more authentic feel. La Casita Blanca takes you back in time and shows you the jíbaro lifestyle of simple living and delicious eating. Casual and colorful interiors depict a Puerto Rico from decades past, with attractive prices and a menu to match. This place is famous among gubernatorial figures, local celebrities and about everyone else, even their neighbors have lunch here most days. Once you finish your meal, a shot of “Chichaíto,” a digestif made of white rum and anise liqueur, is served on the house.
4. Trois Cent Onze: An oasis of calm and beauty amidst the hustle and bustle that is Old San Juan, Trois Cent Onze or 311, is a romantic setting known for its beautiful Andalusian tiles that embellish and make it a gem in the historic town. Besides its attractive Moorish décor, 311 is arguably the best French restaurant in Old San Juan.
5. Carli’s Fine Bistro & Piano: Bask in the romantic atmosphere of this restaurant, owned by pianist Carli Muñoz, who used to tour with the Beach Boys. The interior is cozy and inviting, with Carli’s exuberayting tunes as the main attraction. Sit inside or al fresco, and watch tourists and locals strut around the cobblestoned streets of Old San Juan.