Temperatures are rising in Rome, and though the easiest retreat is a gelateria (ice cream shop), it’s seemingly hard to find the very best. Over the years, I have debated and argued my favorite gelaterie but just as there is a variety of gusti (flavors) able to please all ice cream lovers, there is a prolific amount of writers (living in Rome and out) waxing poetic on gelaterie in the Eternal City. My advice? Peruse through all of the reviews, try all the gelaterie and get back to me with your favorites.
- Il Top del Gelato a Rome (The Best Gelato in Rome) by Tavole Romane (in Italian, but everyone speaks gelato, no?), April 2011
- Ice Ice Bay, Vice Gelateria by Katie Parla (May 2011). After being seduced by the photo (and yes, the words!), make sure to meander her website– Parla covers almost all of Rome’s gelaterie in individual reviews. Also, here is Parla’s 2010 role call of some of her Rome gelato spots.
- Le Petit France‘s March 2011 delectable review of Gelateria al Teatro- my favorite place for dark chocolate gelato.
- Nileguide’s Eat Pray and Love Gelato Tour in Rome
- Tasting Rome, food writer David Lebovitz‘s Summer 2010 tour of Rome’s gelaterie
- May 2011 interview with food writer David Downie for his Terroir guides by Savory Girl who asks him about his favorite gelateria
Photo by LePetitFrance