The glorious thing about Salt Lake City is that it rarely ever rains. If you visit Salt Lake in the summer or fall, you should expect nothing but sunny skies. If you visit in the winter or early spring, precipitation is welcome since it means that it is snowing up at the resorts.
The odd chance that it does rain during your trip to Salt Lake City here are five ideas on how to spend your day.
(1) Museums – Head to Utah’s Natural History Museum to learn more about Utah’s incredible prehistoric past. While you are at the University of Utah, you can also stop by the Utah Museum of Fine Arts. Kids will love the Discovery Gateway, a hands-on, interactive children’s museum at the Gateway Mall
(2) Beer Tours – There are no official brewery tours in Salt Lake, so you can make up your own. Sample the tasty craft beers at Squatters Pub and then don your umbrella and walk a block away to the Red Rock Brewery. Then hop on Trax and head over the Beerhive to sample some high-point beer from Utah’s newest brewery, Epic Brewery.
(3) Salt Lake City Public Library – I have spent many rainy days looking out across the Salt Lake Valley from the grand windows at the Salt Lake City Public Library. The library is an architectural marvel and recipient of the 2006 Library Journal’s library of the year award. Grab a latte from the Salt Lake Roasting Company on the first floor, grab a magazine, and find a cozy seat by a window.
(4) Spa Day – I can’t imagine anything more heavenly than spending a day at the Kura Door, a holistic Japanese spa located in the historic Avenues District of Salt Lake City. Lounge away the day in a plush cotton kimono, sipping fruit infused waters in the meditation space, and enjoying a variety of massage styles, pedicures, and scalp treatments. If it’s a weekend, the Utah College of Massage Therapy gives hour massages without an appointment at a highly discounted rate.
(5) Lunch and a Movie – Brewvies is Salt Lake’s only bar-restaurant-theatre. Watch a budget movie in one of Brewvies’ two theatres while enjoying pizzas or sandwiches and a locally brewed beer. The bar area has pool tables and you can enjoy free pool on Mondays before 5pm.
[Photo courtesy of dmap travel guide]