The Western Metal Supply Co. marks one of the few remaining historical landmarks in downtown San Diego. The four story building designed by Henry Lord Gay in 1909 clips the home of the San Diego Padres, Petco Park. Registered as a historical building, the venue originally housed the steel distribution company, but during the industry decline filed for bankruptcy in 1972. Though the name remained, the company was sold and eventually named a historical site just two years later.
During plans for construction of the new ballpark, the building was originally scheduled for demolition before the community rallied for support and allowed the standing structure to remain. Today the Western Metal Supply Co. is one of the favorite spots for residents to watch the game, with an outdoor patio perfect for sipping beer and noshing on Friar Franks.
Watch our number one seeded team when they return August 24 against the Diamondbacks.