In honor of the international day of the museum, eight Santiago museum are offering free admission in addition to some special exhibits and activities from now through May 29th, which is Día del Patrimonio (Heritage Day). On that day, even more museums, important historic buildings embassies will be open to the public (see post on Chile’s Día del Patrimonio here.
But to get a head start on Día del Patrimonio, check out these eight museums in the coming week.
1. Museo de Bellas Artes with with a new interactive room being launched on May 26th with creative activities for children and adults
2. Museo de La Memoria while this museum is always free, on these dates, there will be special guided tours from 6 to 9 PM.
3. Museo de La Educacion Gabriela Mistral A walk through the history of Chilean education in the school where teacher training took place.
4. Museo Histórico Nacional Important snippets of Chilean history right in Plaza de Armas.
5.Museo de Historia Natural Chile’s natural history museum.
6. Museo Benjamin Vicuña Mackenna The former home of Chilean hero Benjamin Vicu;a McKenna turned into a museum just steps from the Plaza Italia metro.
7. Museo de Artes Decorativas Pretty, artistic and useful objects from teh 18th century to modern times. Objects come from around the globe and include ivory, jewels, crystal, glass and worked silver.
8. Museo Histórico Dominico A religious history museum focusing on the Dominican order..