Memorial Day weekend is upon us, and there are few, if any, more appropriate places to be paying one’s respects to the nation’s armed forces than here in Washington. Some of the city’s most popular activities include:
- The annual Memorial Day Parade: Starting at 2pm on Monday afternoon, this parade starts downtown and is as lively and fun as you’d expect, with marching bands, floats, and balloons.
- Visits to the various war memorials down on the Mall, as well as Arlington Cemetery: Witness wreath-laying ceremonies and commemorate the service men and women who lost their lives in combat.
- The Rolling Thunder Motorcycle Rally: A favorite with kids, this rally helps raise POW/MIA veteran awareness.
Some other attractions and events to check out this weekend:
- The Sunset Celebration at Mount Vernon: At this kid-friendly event,, visitors can take evening tours of George Washington’s mansion, sip wine and nibble on desserts, and check out 18th-century themed games and music (the staff are all in costume!).
- Chuck Brown at Blues Alley: Watch the “Godfather of Go-Go” struff his stuff at this venerable DC spot.
- Memorial day Chili Cookoff at Cafe Saint-Ex and Bar Pilar: Test your chili-cooking mettle in this second annual competition, sponsored by the two U Street Corridor-area restaurants. In addition to the cook-off, there are fun activities for kids like face painting.