- Within these gardens is a colourful collection of exotic and native plants to delight the eye, and an atmosphere to calm the soul. The site was chosen for a public garden in 1828, with fertile soil producing healthy crops for the penal settlement. In 1855 botanist Walter Hill declared botanical gardens would occupy the area. Some of Hill's plantings from the 1850s remain on Residence Hill and the weeping figs on Walter Hill Walk were planted by the botanist in the 1870s. Hungry visitors may enjoy a meal from the Gardens Café, housed in the caretaker's hut built in 1903.
- © wcities.com 2013