This mainly Gothic church with a 100m (325-ft.) belfry has been Bruges's cathedral since 1834 (its predecessor, Saint Donatian's in the Burg, was demolished by the French around 1800). The 15th-century wooden choir stalls flanking the altar bear a complete set of escutcheons of the Knights of the Golden Fleece, who held a chapter meeting here in 1478. The Cathedral Museum (open Mon-Fri 2-5pm, Sun 3-5pm) houses the Martyrdom of St. Hippolytus by Dirk Bouts with a side panel by Hugo van der Goes, as well as the Cathedral Treasury of gold and silver religious vessels, reliquaries, and Episcopal vestments.
- © Frommer's 2013
Ask a local about Sint-Salvatorskathedraal (Holy Savior Cathedral)Locals have answered 6 questions about Bruges.
Ask Bruges Locals about Sint-Salvatorskathedraal (Holy Savior Cathedral)
- tel: 050/33-68-41
- Sint-Salvatorskerkhof (off of Steenstraat)
- Museum Tues-Fri 8:30-11:45am; Sun-Fri 2-5:45pm; Sat 8:30-11:45am and 2-3:30pm; Sun 9-10:15am; closed to casual visitors during services. Treasury: Sun-Fri 2-5pm
- No Sweat
- User Rating