- Completed in 1783, this church housed the Natural History Museum and astronomic observatory under President Rivadavia. In 1835, the dictator Juan Manuel de Rosas repatriated the Dominicans friars and in 1856 the second tower was built. An atrium houses the Mausoleum of Gral. Manuel Belgrano (the creator of the Argentine flag, who was born and died near the church). This work by Hector Ximenez (1903) has a large base of red granite with two bas-reliefs representing the presentation of the Flag and the Battle of Tucumán.
- © wcities.com 2013
Ask a local about Basílica de Santo DomingoLocals have answered 83 questions about Buenos Aires.
Ask Buenos Aires Locals about Basílica de Santo Domingo