- This monument was inaugurated on May 25th, 1811 to commemorate the May Revolution (1810). The master mason, Cañete, constructed a 15-meter tall obelisk of adobe bricks surrounded by railings. In 1856 the monument underwent some remodeling: bricks and plaster were added to increase its volume. A statue of a woman symbolizing the new Republic was also set atop it, while allegorical sculptures reprsenting the arts, agriculture and sciences were positioned around the base. In 1884, new land development projects called for the monument to be relocated to its present site.
- © wcities.com 2013