- The only round church in Egypt, the present church dedicated to Saint George (Mar Girgis) was built in 1904 after a fire destroyed the 10th century original, which had been built on top of a Roman tower. The church has changed hands frequently between the Coptic and Greek Orthodox churches, but has been the latter since the 15th century. Outside a relief portrays Saint George and the Dragon, inside the dark incense-filled chamber features portraits of Greek Orthodox saints.
- © wcities.com 2013
Ask a local about Greek Church of Saint George (Mari Girgis)Locals have answered 264 questions about Cairo.
Ask Cairo Locals about Greek Church of Saint George (Mari Girgis)
- Mar Girgis Street
- Coptic Cairo quarter
- 9am-4.30pm daily.
- No Sweat
- User Rating