- Steenberg, once known as 'Zwaaneweide' or 'Zwaanswyk', was the first land grant made in the Constantia Valley in 1682. The land originally went to a young widow, Catherine Ras, and wines were first produced here in 1695. Today, some 300 years later, the historic 'werf' (original homestead) has been painstakingly restored in the style of an 18th century farm. The farmsteads, including the manor house and other buildings, have been declared a national monument. The main gable, a 'holbol' (convex-concave) outlined by heavy moldings in a small keystone, is the only surviving example of its type in the Cape Peninsula. This prime wine estate has now been developed to include an exquisite country hotel, an 18-hole championship golf course and a residential development.
- © wcities.com 2013