Interesting Facts about Cholula
1. The Great Pyramid of Cholula
is the largest on earth in terms of volume.
2. The Spaniards destroyed all the ancient civilization temples, and to made up for it, they built many churches with 365 domes in total, one for each day of the year.
3. When the conqueror Hernan Cortes arrived, Cholula was second only to the Aztec capital Tenochtitlan.
4. Its oficial name is Cholula de Rivadavia, and it's divided in two municipalities: San Andrés Cholula and San Pedro Cholula.
5. The word Cholula comes from the Nahuatl word Cholollan, though nobody knows exactly what it means.
6. Some young people call this city Cholulandia because of the many bars, clubs, restaurants and lively nightlife that makes it the ultimate place to have fun.
7. Every year, on the last friday of November, 130 tollers go up the bell towers of 24 churches to play a bell concert called "Vaniloquio Campanero".
8. Most people living in Puebla
(just 15 km away) don't know where San Pedro Cholula ends and San Andrés Cholula begins.
9. Many of the postcards sell in Puebla
are a picture of the Our Lady of Remedies Church
with the Popocatepetl behind. So, they sell Puebla Postcards that are actually a picture of Cholula.
10. In 1999 a terrible earthquake damaged the Lady of Remedies Church
on top of the Pyramid
. It was said that it was beyond repair, so the phrase The Remedies has no Remedies was born. Eventually they managed to save it.
11. The famous hot sauce Cholula is not produced here, but in Guadalajara. Still, it's named after the ancient site.
12. Cholula is considered a University City, because the UDLAP (Universidad de las Americas Puebla).
Things to See in Cholula