- Guarding the approaches to Lyttelton Harbour, this small (1.5 hectare) island has a long history as a fortress. Kai Tahu Maori established a musket pa (fortified village) here in the early 1800s. Europeans later used it as a quarantine station, and makeshift prison. In 1885 during the "Great Russian Scare", when New Zealand was considered to be in imminent danger of invasion by Russia, they built Fort Jervois. Four Armstrong hydro-pneumatic disappearing guns were installed and two of these are still visible. A German naval commander, Count Felix Von Luckner, was imprisoned here during the First World War. Black Cat tours organizes tours to this beautiful site.
- © wcities.com 2013