After a visit to the monastery above, and only if time remains, you can walk nearby to see this church, which is actually the cathedral of Helsingør. It was named after the patron saint Olai, a Norwegian king (spelled "Olav" in Norwegian) who died in 1030. Throughout the church are illustrations of this saintly king slaying the dragon of paganism.
The present building dates from 1559, constructed on the site of a small Romanesque church from the 1200s.
At the dawn of the 21st century, restorers opened many of the burial chambers here, discovering very well-preserved mummies. Had Danish monks learned the secrets of the Egyptians? After these long-dead corpses were studied, they were sealed away once more and buried beneath a floor of concrete and tile to "safeguard the peace of the dead now and forever."
Architecturally, the christening chapel and the baptistery of this spired church are worth a brief inspection. Also take in the ornately decorated altar. Sankt Olai takes up a city block between Stengade and Sankt Olai Gade.
- © Frommer's 2013