- Overlooking the river Lee, Cork City Hall was opened in 1936, replacing the previous structure which was burned down in 1920. The six limestone Tuscan pillars and copper-domed clock tower are a particularly impressive sight after dark. The limestone used comes from nearby Little Island. City Hall houses Cork city's administration; the county administration offices are elsewhere. It is also used for concerts and, during office hours, the public can enter to see the fine Connemara marble staircase.
- © wcities.com 2013