- This edifice is located next to the Cathedral. The building was first the mansion of the conqueror Fernando Pizarro, and was constructed upon the Amaru Cancha ("Enclosure of the Serpent," palace of Inca Huayna Cápac). The Jesuits began its construction in 1576. Its spiked carved stone facade and interior are considered one of the best examples of colonial baroque in the Americas. The altars are cedar and covered with gold leaf, and the sculptures and paintings of the Cusquenian School like the "Wedding of the nephew of San Ignacio de Loyola with a Princess Inca" are also great to see. On each of its sides, are the chapel of Lourdes and the Oratory of San Ignacio de Loyola. Admission is free.
- © wcities.com 2013