This 19th-century Byzantine-style church is unexpectedly one of the city's most romantic spots. Lovers are drawn here because the church holds the relics of St. Valentine. The pieces of bone are believed to be authentic, and they were given to the church by Pope Gregory XVI in 1836. They're kept in a casket on an altar to the right of the main altar, but once a year (on St. Valentine's Day, of course) are carried out in procession for a special Mass. The church also holds an icon known as Our Lady of Dublin, a 15th-century woodcarving that was rescued from a nearby farm where it had been used as a pig trough.
- © Frommer's 2013
Ask a local about Whitefriar Street Carmelite ChurchLocals have answered 72 questions about Dublin.
Ask Dublin Locals about Whitefriar Street Carmelite Church