Firth of Forth
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
The Forth Rail Bridge is a railway bridge over the Firth of Forth.
The bridge connects Edinburgh with Fife and connects the north-east and south-east of the country.
The 2.5 km. (1.5 mile) Forth Railway Bridge, the world's first major steel bridge, with its gigantic girder spans of 521 m. (1710 ft.) ranks as one of the great feats of civilization. It was begun in 1883 and formally completed on 4 March 1890 when HRH Edward Prince of Wales tapped into place a 'golden' rivet. It is listed as one of the UNESCO World Heritage Sites of Scotland. Tancred–Arrol, constructed the bridge, robustly designed in the aftermath of the Tay Bridge disaster by civil engineers Sir John Fowler and Benjamin Baker.
Today, the bridge, Scotland's biggest 'listed' building, continues to form a vital artery in Network Rail's East Coast railway system; it carries 180 - 200 train movements per day.
The bridge is particularly striking at night, a perfect time to take photos of the architectural marvel.