Via dei Serragli, 144, Firenze, Italy
+39 055 224 527
NileGuide Expert tip:
Make sure to contact the garden directly for a privately guided visit.
One of the largest gardens with the city walls of the city in Europe, Giardino Torrigiani is seven hectars. A famous 16th century garden became more famous when Pietro Torrigiani expanded it into the surrounding area. It was turned into a romantic park. Pio Fedi designed the group of neo-classical sculptures for Pietro Torrigiani. The garden was completed by the architect Luigi de Cambray Digney. He combined the natural elements of the garden with respect of the landscape it encompassed. The famous tower was designed by architect and engineer Gary Baccani. 22 meters high, the tower kept inside a collection of astronomical instruments, a library and an open terrace on the top. The sculptures in the garden are one of many the statue of Osiris holding boards on which are written the rules of conduct upon entering the park. The famous botantist Pier Antonio Micheli worked diligently in the garden founded the Italian Botanical Society in 1716. The Giardino Torrigiani extends from Viale Petrarca, with the old Arnolfi walls on each side, to Piazza Torquato Tasso. The garden is private and is only open on rare occasions.