Museo dell' Opera del Duomo was established in 1296 to supervise the construction of the Duomo and bell tower. In 1436, the Duomo was finished and the catedral was consecrated in which became a main task of the institution to preserve the monument. In 1891 the museum was renovated to hold all the works of art from over the centuries that were removed from the Duomo and the Baptistery of San Giovanni. What exists inside this museum are all the precious artwork that were taken in to be protected from the elements. The renovation of the museum took place from 1998 to 2000. Some of the most famous works that are currently being renovated and still live on inside these walls is Lorenzo Ghiberti's original bronze panels from the Baptistery's "Gates of Paradise". They are shown under the natural daylight enclosed in a courtyard. Ghiberti spent 27 years of his life in completely this masterpiece.