- This church is connected to the neighbouring Pre' insignia building. Building work was begun in 1180 with pre-Lamica masters, a fact which is commemorated by a plaque on the wall. It has recently been restored by the Ministry for cultural heritage. There are two churches, one of which stands over the other which are mutually independent from one another. The smaller church, with three naves, occupies the central nave of the larger one. This has a splendid Romanesque belltower with three levels of three-light windows and a pyramid-shaped spire. There has been an entrance in the apse of the larger church since 1731 when the Knights of the Order of Malta allowed entry to the more civilised members of the public. The inner church is intimate and quiet. It contains the remains of an important series of frescoes that have recently been brought to light.
- © wcities.com 2013
Ask a local about Chiesa di S.Giovanni di PréLocals have answered 4 questions about Genoa.
Ask Genoa Locals about Chiesa di S.Giovanni di Pré
- tel: +39 010 542 098
- 1 Piazza della Commenda
- Genoa 16126
- User Rating